[meteorite-list] Ad - Weekly Rare Material

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:34 2004

Hi Phil and List Members,

A lot of questions are being asked about the new mesosiderite. A very good
question was asked by Phil and posted to the list which I will address.

> Where and how do they draw a line between unbrecciated mesosiderites and
> silicated irons?

Sometimes the all important O-isotopes show the proper parent body which is
the case for the NWA 1878 mesosiderite. The Isotopes and chemistry are
completely different from that of silicated irons. I hope this answers this
question because I am certainly no expert in this area.

Another question was:

> Hi, has a subclass for this meteorite been determined yet?

No, but I bet it falls into a very rare one because it is so different from
others we have studied. I hate to hazard a guess at this time because I am
not an expert on mesosiderite subclasses. They are probably only a couple
of scientists who make this distinction which will be consulted.

Thank you for the interest in this new meteorite.

Best Regards,

Adam