[meteorite-list] RE: Brahin question

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:34 2004

Jeff,

It's not a case of when is it 'stable' but, is it more stable than it
was!=20

Depending on how you attempted to stabilize it (whether it be coating in
Lacquer, oven drying or sealing in desiccated boxes)=20

All meteorites deteriorate to some degree, most are not homogenous so
when you add oxygen/chlorine from the air and water vapor they start to
change chemistry, the trick is to try and omit as many external
influences, as possible, with Brahin that normally entails omitting
water vapor (i.e. store it in a dry atmosphere! - And don't touch it
with bare fingers).

I would say providing you have taken the precautions above, you can
relax until the specimen looks like it needs attention!

Regards,
Mark F.