[meteorite-list] PF fall duration

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:34 2004

Hello, Marco and the list,

Marco, donīt know, did Jarmo sent to you the final calculations we
have about the Feb. 12:th bolide, but hereīs a link to a graphic of some
potential pieces (unfortunately in finnish, but I think you can get the
idea).
The flight of one piece is marked as a red line, in following Iīm just
speaking about this fragment.

> http://www.nuuska.pp.fi/elmi.jpg

The detonating-altitude is counted as 35 km:s / 0 seconds, the last point
marked is in altitude 0.74 km:s / 396 seconds. We used the radar-data to
find some "hot spots", they can be real, or just from the ionisation of the
bolide. The effect of wind was quite interresting in this calculation,
 the
potential mass of the fragment was calculated as 50 grams chondrite.

We got a great help from Marco, Peter Jenniskens and Pavel Spurny, so
my warmest thanks again to all of them.

Unfortunately we got some 7 cm:s snow just after the bolide, and the
potential
strewn-field was mainly on ice, so it was quite hopeless to find
anything, but
this was a very interresting case, and think we are next time much
wiser...;-

Some translations;

- korkeus = altitude
- aika = time
- tuulen suunta = wind

The graphics may be correct or may be not. As I told, we used the
"hot-spots"
from the radar-data, and if this data is incorrect, the whole graphics
in incorrect.

Anyway, in this calculation it took 396 secs from 35 km:s to 0.74 km:s
for a 50
gram fragment of ordinary chondrite. (If the radar-data is correct). So
time in
minutes from 35 km:s to 0.74 km:s would be 6.6 minutes, and it may make
sence,
if we check the calculations of Glanerbrug time, 2.5 minutes from 15 km:s.

take care,

pekka