[meteorite-list] Personal advice?

From: Mark Miconi <mam602_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:35 2004

Tom,
Go and make hay while the sun is shining. Forget about hunting anything
there. I have 2 brothers in law in Iraq in the army. Walking anywhere but on
a street is dangerous and even that is not 100% and they get to carry guns
and shoot back. Strolling through the desert would be suicide, it is mined,
there are still bandits and Saddam loyalists that would love to skin an
American. I doubt very seriously that anyone would want to remove anything
from Iraq right now, natural or otherwise. I doubt very much that leaving
the country with items taken from the country is a good idea either, unless
you like doing time in a prison. There is no government yet so permits for
such things would not be possible either. My one brother in law is in charge
of some security detail at the airport and ALL military person leaving the
country are being search, baggage and body...no Souveniers are being allowed
to leave Iraq.

Concentrate on making as much money as possible legally for you and your
family on the job you get hired to do, stay out of the desert and forget
about finding meteorites in a place that has been at war in one sense or
another for over 25 years. The vast amount of unexploded anti-personnel
mines, rockets and various other deadly items in the desert in that region
make it completely unlikely you will return with anything but a wooden limb
to walk on. The locals there are still not to keen about the American
presense and strolling around in the desert far enough away from a town or
village is asking to be dead.

My 2 cents.

Mark M.