[meteorite-list] RE: impact area

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:36 2004

Hello, Paul and the list,

you can find a list of the current known impact structures
(198 pcs) from Jarmo Moilanen´s site;

http://www.netppl.fi/~jarmom/geo/imp/impacts.htm

Also some quite good information about the topic. I´m living
nearby Suvasvesi N impact structure, and it seems, we have
a double-one, also Suvasvesi S is an impact crater. Like Clear-
water in Canada or Ries-Steinham in Germany. The finnish
impact structures can be found from;

http://www.netppl.fi/~jarmom/geo/imp/fincrat_e.htm

and from;

http://www.gsf.fi/paleo/impacts.html

The list of general literature to impact structures and cratering process;

http://www.gsf.fi/paleo/files/literatu.html#general

Well, some good books to read, areromagnetic maps of the area,
if you can find any, and so on.Then the legwork; you just have to find some
shatter-cones, PDF-formated quarz, suevite and some another impactite
materials to prove you have a real crater...;-

There are lot of impact structures to find, and also lot of people, who
think, they have found a structure, but they have not, so good luck to
you and your crater, keep me updated about the project.

take care,

pekka