[meteorite-list] NWA 869

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:36 2004

Mark wrote about NWA 869:

> It is one of the nicest meteorites that has came out of Africa.

I definitely concur with Mark's statement. That's why I took the time
to thoroughly sort through dozens of Dean's offers some time ago
when only a few people were interested in cut NWA 869 specimens and,
to quote the Hup=E9s' jargon, handpicked (I had better say "eyepicked")
five extraordinary, cut specimens that showed stunning brecciation or
to avoid this word, showed stunning clasts. One of these NWA 869's
has areas where chondrule aggregates are so crowded that you feel
like looking at Moorabi (L3.6), at Barratta (L3.8) or at Parnallee (LL3.6).
Another has gray, featureless, fine-grained areas that seem to be
"achondritic" as they are absolutely devoid of any chondrules (cp. some
areas in the NWA 900's that Matteo offered - see also CEM, p. 144).

Anyway, a beautiful meteorite that should be in your collections!

Bernd