[meteorite-list] re: Meteorite hunting in the UK...

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:36 2004

Hi,

Stuart wrote:

>=20
> I've no idea if they're as common in England or
> Wales though.
>=20
=20
Stone walls are very common in the North of England and some parts of
Cornwall (down south). =20

=09
Steve wrote:

>would imagine that solid irons, or stony irons would
>be rare if non existent. These would have stood out
>and been long since smelted, or used for other things
>than mere stones for a wall.

Well as we know the Romans knew that meteorites were something special,
and at a time when making ore was hard work a large chunk of iron would
be a real gift too.=20

I was thinking that any stones that had fallen on farm land would have
been lost due to ploughing but of course ploughing might also dig up
stones and bring them to the surface!

Cheers,
Mark