[meteorite-list] Campo del Cielo meteorites

From: Tom aka James Knudson <knudson911_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:38 2004

Hello List, I am confused, again! This letter says;
"1) There is no city or geographic reference with that name in Argentina. In
that case the proposed name for the meteorite will be Campo del Cielo II."

Now from this, I would have to guess that if the meteorite is called
"Pitino" And there is no Pitino in Argentina, that this meteorite must not
be from Argentina? And;

"2) As the meteorite is from Campo del Cielo, the proprietary is the
Goverment of Argentina. So is forbidden any people has a fragment of it."

It would stand to reason that if this meteorite is not from Argintina then
Argintina would not be the proprietary of this meteorite sence it is not
from Argintina? Plese correct me if I am wrong on this, am I missing
something?

Thanks, Tom
The proudest member of the IMCA 6168

P.S. ." So is forbidden any people has a fragment of it." ?????

> In agreement with the expressed by Mr. Michael Farmer, in a lot of
> meteorites from Campo del Cielo he found a new chondrite named Pitino. On
> this matter I have two observations:
> 1) There is no city or geographic reference with that name in Argentina.
In
> that case the proposed name for the meteorite will be Campo del Cielo II.
> 2) As the meteorite is from Campo del Cielo, the proprietary is the
> Goverment of Argentina. So is forbidden any people has a fragment of it.
>
> I also remember a meteorite of 6 to 8 tons was stolen from Campo del
Cielo.