[meteorite-list] Natural History Museum - meteorite pics

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:38 2004

--part1_a6.38e5b78e.2c1cc193_boundary

This is "niece-wedding-weekend" for me in Washington DC, but managed to spend
some of yesterday afternoon at the Natural History Museum drooling over a few
rocks from space. I took a number of pictures, when I get home I'll be
trying to sort them out, rename them, etc. But for the moment, if anyone would
like me to send them the large file with 20-some pix, email back (off-list) and
I'll do one mass-addressed email later tonight, with the pix attached as a zip
file. It's well over a megabyte so will take some time to download..... I
don't pretend to be the Ansel Adams (or Geoff Notkin) of the
meteorite-photography world, and they're not Museum-displayed with ease-of-photography in mind,
but there are some pretty stunning examples here. The breathtaking
Lafayette, with it's unbelievable orientation and flow lines, along with an amazing
slice of Brenham, the Kansas pallasite. This slice, or 90% of it anyway, looks
like an etched Gibeon or other iron, until you get over to the 10% edge on the
right, wherein it transforms itself into the pallasite composition we're all
familiar with. Quite a sight. Also, the Tucson Ring, of course........along
with: Olivenza, Vigarano, Orgeuil, Ivuna, Nakhla, Rose City, Bustee,
Shallowater, Pasamonte, Youndegin, Brenham, Bencubbin, Chinguetti, Henbury,
Bishopville, Aioun el Atrouss, ALH 84001, El Capitan.

BUT WAIT, for the first 20 listees who ACT NOW, I'll also throw in a picture
of the wedding party, and maybe a couple of Ginsu knives. ;-)

       Gregory

--part1_a6.38e5b78e.2c1cc193_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
This is "niece-wedding-weekend" for me in Washington DC, but managed to spen=
d some of yesterday afternoon at the <B>Natural History Museum </B>drooling=20=
over a few rocks from space.&nbsp; I took a number of pictures, when I get h=
ome I'll be trying to sort them out, rename them, etc.&nbsp; But for the mom=
ent, if anyone would like me to send them the large file with 20-some pix, e=
mail back (off-list) and I'll do one mass-addressed email later tonight, wit=
h the pix attached as a zip file.&nbsp; It's well over a megabyte so will ta=
ke some time to download.....&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't pretend to be the An=
sel Adams (or Geoff Notkin) of the meteorite-photography world, and they're=20=
not Museum-displayed with ease-of-photography in mind, but there are some pr=
etty stunning examples here.&nbsp; The breathtaking Lafayette, with it's unb=
elievable orientation and flow lines, along with an amazing slice of Brenham=
, the Kansas pallasite.&nbsp; This slice, or 90% of it anyway, looks like an=
 etched Gibeon or other iron, until you get over to the 10% edge on the righ=
t, wherein it transforms itself into the pallasite composition we're all fam=
iliar with.&nbsp; Quite a sight.&nbsp;&nbsp; Also, the Tucson Ring, of cours=
e........along with:&nbsp; Olivenza, Vigarano, Orgeuil, Ivuna, Nakhla, Rose=20=
City, Bustee, Shallowater, Pasamonte, Youndegin, Brenham, Bencubbin, Chingue=
tti, Henbury, Bishopville, Aioun el Atrouss, ALH 84001, El Capitan.<BR>
<BR>
BUT WAIT, for the first 20 listees who ACT NOW, I'll also throw in a picture=
 of the wedding party, and maybe a couple of Ginsu knives.&nbsp;&nbsp; ;-)<B=

<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Gregory</FONT></HTML>

--part1_a6.38e5b78e.2c1cc193_boundary--