[meteorite-list] RE: Summertime Desiccant Tune-Up

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:40 2004

Ryan,

(I live in the UK) I got my Silica gel from :

http://www.geejaychemicals.co.uk/cobaltchloride.htm#SELF-INDICATING%20(B
LUE)%20SILICA%20GEL.

Or Just do a search in google.com (or similar) for 'Indicating silica
gel'

We buy it at work (in big tins), but I am sure they do it packets and
all sorts of forms.

The best way to use it is to get a plastic container (such as the clear
ones that 35mm films come in) and stab a small few holes in the top,
fill it with silica and replace the lid. Because plastic film containers
are slightly transparent you can see the colour change.

Best Wishes,
Mark