[meteorite-list] NP Article, 04-02 1880 Death By Meteors

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:41 2004

------=_NextPart_001_001A_01C3367A.C15D40D0

Title: Bismarck Tribune =20
City: Bismarck, North Dakota =20
Date: Friday, April 02, 1880

Death by Meteors

Mr. Proctor wrote: "I have received several inquiries, some of them rathe=
r auxious inquiries, respecting the dangers to be fared from meteoric dow=
nfall. If we know the average number of meteoric masses which break their=
 way through the earth's armor - that is, through the "firmament," expans=
e of ether, pure transparent elemental air - it wold be very easy to calc=
ulate the exact chance of dearth by meteoric downfall. As a matter of fac=
t, we have no satisfactory evidence on this point, because ost of the met=
eorites which fall upon the earth escape attention. I suppose, however, t=
hat if Prof. Newtpm, of Yale College, rightly assumes the number of falli=
ng stars of all orders to be 400,000,000 yearly, we may fairly assume tha=
t about 4,000 meteorites fall annually upon the earth's surface. This all=
ows one meteorite for 100,000 falling stars. Now let us take the total nu=
mber of human beings at any one time on the earth as 1,500,000,000, Assum=
e the risk of persons within doors equal to that of persons in the open a=
ir - for a meteorite falling on a house would not be seriously interrupte=
d in its course, since it would travel with a velocity of several miles p=
er second. Again, remembering that the meteors do not fall vertically, no=
r, even if they did, do men always stand upright, we must take a larger s=
urface for each person that that which he presents as seen from above whe=
n standing. We may take a square ueard for an adult, and perhaps a quarte=
r fo a square yard for the average human being. Now, the earth's surface =
contains about 200,000,000 square miles, each containing about 3,000,000 =
square yards - in all 2,400,000,000,000,000 quarter square yards. Thus th=
e chance of a single meteorite striking some one is as fifteen in 24,000,=
000 or as one in 1,600,000; and if 400 meteorites fall per aunum, the cah=
nce of one death occurring in any given year is about 1-400th. On the ave=
rage one death by a meteor strike might be expected to occur in 400 years=
. If it is true, as I have recently stated, that nine such deaths have oc=
curred in the last 900 years, it would appear probable that 16,000 meteor=
ites, instead of 4,000, annually reach the earth."

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_001A_01C3367A.C15D40D0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><B><FONT size=3D=
2> <P>Title: Bismarck Tribune </P> <P>City: Bismarck, North Dakota </P> <=
P>Date: Friday, April 02, 1880</P></B> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Death by Meteors<=
/P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Mr. Proctor wrote: "I have received several inquirie=
s, some of them rather auxious inquiries, respecting the dangers to be fa=
red from meteoric downfall. If we know the average number of meteoric mas=
ses which break their way through the earth's armor - that is, through th=
e "firmament," expanse of ether, pure transparent elemental air - it wold=
 be very easy to calculate the exact chance of dearth by meteoric downfal=
l. As a matter of fact, we have no satisfactory evidence on this point, b=
ecause ost of the meteorites which fall upon the earth escape attention. =
I suppose, however, that if Prof. Newtpm, of Yale College, rightly assume=
s the number of falling stars of all orders to be 400,000,000 yearly, we =
may fairly assume that about 4,000 meteorites fall annually upon the eart=
h's surface. This allows one meteorite for 100,000 falling stars. Now let=
 us take the total number of human beings at any one time on the earth as=
 1,500,000,000, Assume the risk of persons within doors equal to that of =
persons in the open air - for a meteorite falling on a house would not be=
 seriously interrupted in its course, since it would travel with a veloci=
ty of several miles per second. Again, remembering that the meteors do no=
t fall vertically, nor, even if they did, do men always stand upright, we=
 must take a larger surface for each person that that which he presents a=
s seen from above when standing. We may take a square ueard for an adult,=
 and perhaps a quarter fo a square yard for the average human being. Now,=
 the earth's surface contains about 200,000,000 square miles, each contai=
ning about 3,000,000 square yards - in all 2,400,000,000,000,000 quarter =
square yards. Thus the chance of a single meteorite striking some one is =
as fifteen in 24,000,000 or as one in 1,600,000; and if 400 meteorites fa=
ll per aunum, the cahnce of one death occurring in any given year is abou=
t 1-400th. On the average one death by a meteor strike might be expected =
to occur in 400 years. If it is true, as I have recently stated, that nin=
e such deaths have occurred in the last 900 years, it would appear probab=
le that 16,000 meteorites, instead of 4,000, annually reach the earth."</=
P></FONT><BR><BR>Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line =
archive of meteor and meteorite articles.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_001A_01C3367A.C15D40D0--