[meteorite-list] Need help naming new group

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:41 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C3373F.80F98790

Dave wrote:

Perhaps just as a slightly "cleaner" version, might using
"HED-group peridotite" rather than "HED-clan peridotite" be
a bit better? =20

>From my understanding you would say clan. Like eucrites are a clan, and =
within eucrites you have several groups or different types of eucrites, s=
uch as Polymict Eucrite or Unbrecciated Eucrite. Given a few more finds =
(or more study?), the different Peridotites would receive groups names. =
It should be noted that nobody calls eucrites, "HED-group eucrites", so w=
ould not the name, if decided upon, just be "Peridotite", or should the H=
ED-group part be carried to not confuse people with an earth peridot?

Personally, I still like the thought of using historical names for clans,=
 and then the more scientific words added to define the groups. I do how=
ever see logic in using names that are easy to recognize for the average =
geologist.

Mark Bostick
www.MeteoriteArticles.com

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C3373F.80F98790

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Dave wrote:</D=
IV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Perhaps just as a slightly "cleaner" version, =
might using<BR>"HED-group peridotite" rather than "HED-clan peridotite" b=
e<BR>a bit better?&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>=
>From my understanding you would say clan.&nbsp; Like eucrites are a clan,=
 and within eucrites you have several groups or different types of eucrit=
es, such as Polymict Eucrite or Unbrecciated Eucrite.&nbsp; Given a few m=
ore finds (or more study?), the different Peridotites would receive group=
s names.&nbsp; It should be noted that nobody calls eucrites, "HED-group =
eucrites", so would not the name, if decided upon,&nbsp;just be "Peridoti=
te", or should the HED-group part be carried to not confuse people with a=
n earth peridot?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Personally,&nbsp;I still li=
ke the thought of using historical names for clans, and then the more sci=
entific words added to define the groups.&nbsp; I do however see logic in=
 using names that are easy to recognize for the average geologist.</DIV> =
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Mark Bostick</DIV> <DIV><A href=3D"http://www.Mete=
oriteArticles.com">www.MeteoriteArticles.com</A></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C3373F.80F98790--