[meteorite-list] usps insurance is fraud

From: Mark Miconi <mam602_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:42 2004

------=_NextPart_000_007E_01C33770.E1DE1A40

Harlan,
Everything you have said is completely wrong. I have been in business 4 =
years and I ship 2000+ items a year and ALL of them are very fragile. I =
have never had a single customer have a problem with any of the 29 =
damaged items they have had. Everyone has collected their claim.

There are something's I do to ensure that they do not have a problem.

I use only new boxes, USPS boxes when possible.
I use only USPS approved materials to pack...newsprint is not approved.=20
I use the proper size box and lots of foam bubblewrap and peanut foam.

When a problem occurs and there have only been 29 because I keep track. =
The procedure is simple and is as follows:

Customer contacts me I tell them they need to KEEP all of the materials =
and box...Throw out nothing.
I print out their invoice, their proof of payment and a copy of the =
auction page.
I have the USPS Claim forms here, I fill in my part of the form as the =
seller and sign it.
I put the claim form, the print outs and the POSTMARKED insurance =
receipt in an envelope and mail it to the customer.

When they receive my envelope, they take it and the item in the box it =
came in with the packing materials to their local post office. Generally =
it will take 15 minutes for the clerk to complete the claim and then 10 =
days to receive the check.

NONE of my customers ever received one cent less than they paid for =
their items. THERE ARE PRINTED approved packing material lists available =
from the post office...I know because I am a post office, I have a USPS =
Postal License and am approved to print my own postage and to accept =
items for shipping from third parties.

NOW if you want to talk about the private sector...lets do that. In 4 =
years I have had to file suit in court against Federal Express 3 times =
in order for them to pay any insurance claim on 5 out of 6 damaged =
items. They are matters of public record and I can send you the case =
numbers. FedEx once took a wooden magazine rack that had been scratched =
during shipment when the box was pierced by their machinery. They had =
the item 4 months and reduced it to kindling, completely destroying the =
item. All they were supposed to do is inspect it. It took 2 trips to =
court before they finally paid my customer. I have 3 additional trips to =
court to file suits before they finally decided to pay on other claims. =
FedEx simply does not cover any items over $100.00 in value even though =
they will allow you to insure them for up to $500.00. You have to prove =
in court that they were negligent in their handling and that if the =
negligence had not occured the item would have not been otherwise =
damaged during normal shipping. That was how I won.

I also refer you to FedEx.com at =
http://www.fedex.com/us/services/termsandconditions/ground/liabilitylimit=
s.html?link=3D4

They do not cover and are not liable for any item on their list which is =
the following:

  1.. Packages (including freight shipments) containing all or part of =
the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of $100:=20
  2.. Artwork, including any work created or developed by the =
application of skill, taste or creative talent for sale, display or =
collection. This includes, but is not limited to, items (and their =
parts) such as paintings, drawings, vases, tapestries, limited-edition =
prints, fine art, statuary, sculpture, collectors' items, customized or =
personalized musical instruments.=20
  3.. Film, photographic images, including photographic negatives, =
photographic chromes, photographic slides.=20
  4.. Any commodity that by its inherent nature is particularly =
susceptible to damage, or the market value of which is particularly =
variable or difficult to ascertain.=20
  5.. Antiques, any commodity which exhibits the style or fashion of a =
past era and whose history, age or rarity contributes to its value. =
These items include, but are not limited to, furniture, tableware, =
glassware and collectors' items such as coins, stamps, sports cards, =
souvenirs and memorabilia. (Collector's coins and stamps may not be =
shipped.)=20
  6.. Glassware, including, but not limited to, signs, mirrors, =
ceramics, porcelains, china, crystal, glass, framed glass, flat panel =
display screens (all types), plasma screens, and any other commodity =
with similarly fragile qualities.=20
  7.. Jewelry, including, but not limited to, costume jewelry, watches =
and their parts, mount gems or stones (precious or semiprecious), =
industrial diamonds and jewelry made of precious metal.=20
  8.. Furs, including, but not limited to, fur clothing, fur-trimmed =
clothing and fur pelts.=20
  9.. Precious metals, including, but not limited to, gold and silver =
bullion or dust, precipitates or platinum (except as an integral part of =
electronic machinery).=20
  10.. Stocks, bonds, cash letters or cash equivalents, including, but =
not limited to, food stamps, postage stamps (not collectible), =
traveler's checks, lottery tickets, money orders, prepaid calling cards, =
bond coupons and bearer bonds.=20
  11.. Ostrich and emu eggs.=20
They cover nothing and this is almost an exact copy of what UPS will =
cover. The US Postal Service does not have these limitations and they =
pay.

My advice....know your seller, ebay or otherwise. Before you buy on ebay =
contact past winners and ask about the packing of their item. If it is a =
company...ask them on the phone or by email how the item will be =
packed...if they can not tell you exactly...buy somewhere else.

Mark M.
Phoenix AZ

  ----- Original Message -----=20