[meteorite-list] usps insurance is fraud

From: Randy Mils <acculabs_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:42 2004

<P>Thanks for all of&nbsp;the details on your experiences, Mark.&nbsp; I am keeping your email for future reference.</P>
<P>Thank you also for using proper punctuation. :-)</P>
<P>Randy<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Mark Miconi" <MAM602_at_COX.NET>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: "harlan trammell" <SKYROX_at_HOTMAIL.COM>,<METEORITE-LIST@METEORITECENTRAL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] usps insurance is fraud
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:14:06 -0700
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Harlan,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Everything you have said is completely wrong. I have been in business 4 years and I ship 2000+ items a year and ALL of them are very fragile. I have never had a single customer have a problem with any of the 29 damaged items they have had. Everyone has collected their claim.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;There are something's I do to ensure that they do not have a problem.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I use only new boxes, USPS boxes when possible.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I use only USPS approved materials to pack...newsprint is not approved.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I use the proper size box and lots of foam bubblewrap and peanut foam.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;When a problem occurs and there have only been 29 because I keep track. The procedure is simple and is as follows:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Customer contacts me I tell them they need to KEEP all of the materials and box...Throw out nothing.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I print out their invoice, their proof of payment and a copy of the auction page.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I have the USPS Claim forms here, I fill in my part of the form as the seller and sign it.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I put the claim form, the print outs and the POSTMARKED insurance receipt in an envelope and mail it to the customer.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;When they receive my envelope, they take it and the item in the box it came in with the packing materials to their local post office. Generally it will take 15 minutes for the clerk to complete the claim and then 10 days to receive the check.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;NONE of my customers ever received one cent less than they paid for their items. THERE ARE PRINTED approved packing material lists available from the post office...I know because I am a post office, I have a USPS Postal License and am approved to print my own postage and to accept items for shipping from third parties.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;NOW if you want to talk about the private sector...lets do that. In 4 years I have had to file suit in court against Federal Express 3 times in order for them to pay any insurance claim on 5 out of 6 damaged items. They are matters of public record and I can send you the case numbers. FedEx once took a wooden magazine rack that had been scratched during shipment when the box was pierced by their machinery. They had the item 4 months and reduced it to kindling, completely destroying the item. All they were supposed to do is inspect it. It took 2 trips to court before they finally paid my customer. I have 3 additional trips to court to file suits before they finally decided to pay on other claims. FedEx simply does not cover any items over $100.00 in value even though they will allow you to insure them for up to $500.00. You have to prove in court that they were negligent in their handling and that if the negligence had not occured the item would have not been otherwise damaged during normal shi
pping. That was how I won.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I also refer you to FedEx.com at http://www.fedex.com/us/services/termsandconditions/ground/liabilitylimits.html?link=4
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;They do not cover and are not liable for any item on their list which is the following:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 1.. Packages (including freight shipments) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of $100:
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 2.. Artwork, including any work created or developed by the application of skill, taste or creative talent for sale, display or collection. This includes, but is not limited to, items (and their parts) such as paintings, drawings, vases, tapestries, limited-edition prints, fine art, statuary, sculpture, collectors' items, customized or personalized musical instruments.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 3.. Film, photographic images, including photographic negatives, photographic chromes, photographic slides.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 4.. Any commodity that by its inherent nature is particularly susceptible to damage, or the market value of which is particularly variable or difficult to ascertain.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 5.. Antiques, any commodity which exhibits the style or fashion of a past era and whose history, age or rarity contributes to its value. These items include, but are not limited to, furniture, tableware, glassware and collectors' items such as coins, stamps, sports cards, souvenirs and memorabilia. (Collector's coins and stamps may not be shipped.)
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 6.. Glassware, including, but not limited to, signs, mirrors, ceramics, porcelains, china, crystal, glass, framed glass, flat panel display screens (all types), plasma screens, and any other commodity with similarly fragile qualities.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 7.. Jewelry, including, but not limited to, costume jewelry, watches and their parts, mount gems or stones (precious or semiprecious), industrial diamonds and jewelry made of precious metal.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 8.. Furs, including, but not limited to, fur clothing, fur-trimmed clothing and fur pelts.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 9.. Precious metals, including, but not limited to, gold and silver bullion or dust, precipitates or platinum (except as an integral part of electronic machinery).
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 10.. Stocks, bonds, cash letters or cash equivalents, including, but not limited to, food stamps, postage stamps (not collectible), traveler's checks, lottery tickets, money orders, prepaid calling cards, bond coupons and bearer bonds.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 11.. Ostrich and emu eggs.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;They cover nothing and this is almost an exact copy of what UPS will cover. The US Postal Service does not have these limitations and they pay.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;My advice....know your seller, ebay or otherwise. Before you buy on ebay contact past winners and ask about the packing of their item. If it is a company...ask them on the phone or by email how the item will be packed...if they can not tell you exactly...buy somewhere else.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Mark M.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Phoenix AZ
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; ----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>&gt; From: harlan trammell
<DIV></DIV>&gt; To: meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 1:11 PM
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Subject: [meteorite-list] usps insurance is fraud
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; we all buy insurance to ship our skyrox. but it is really for peace-of-mind only- a big waste of money. when the _ _it hits the fan, you are as lost as somone in a molasses canoe or an astronaut in space with no fuel left and no air. anybody ever ACTUALLY collect insurance money from the post office on a loss from the usps...? i didn't think so. usps insurance is aCOMPLETE WASTE of MONEY- just read the form to file a claim. you have to have the item , the receipt, etc.. oh, the item! that means , you have to send it BACK to the sender and they then say it was damaged THEN not during the shipping when you RECEIVED it - therefore, it can NEVER be tendered properly for a claim - a self-perpetuating KOP-OUT to avoid paying a claim- get it?! suppose you DO get it all together and go waltzing into a p.o.- they just laugh!! after that, it goes before a review board to determine if it was PACKED right before a claim is paid. 99.99% you did not pack it right (and there are no written, standards for pa
cking or a way to verify that was indeed packed right before sending anyway)and they say forget it. and if you are one of the lotto winners who does get a claim, they give you depreciated value less fees from stupid government assessed value chart. in other words , you have no recourse whatsoever . so don't waste your money. use fed ex. the private sector is ALWAYS better than ANYTHING government.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;