[meteorite-list] A Low-Density M-type Asteroid in the Main Belt

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:42 2004

Remember that debate that I had with the late Darryl
Futrell regarding the origin of tektites.

My position was that these are impact products, and
that the craters may not exist as the impactor
disrupted in a Tunguska type event.

If this type of asteroid were to strike the earth,
would any major fragments of it reach the ground to
form craters in the way a more solid object would?
Would this type of object form, as I maintained in the
debates, "a crater in the air" rather than on the
ground?

In other words, a Tunguska event, with extreme
temperatures vaporiziing the impactor in the air, and
ground material, too.

And if many asteroids are like loose balls of dirt, I
wonder how many of them would not reach the ground to
produce a solid crater such as one would see on the
moon where there in no atmosphere to slow them down
before the smash into the lunar surface?

Something to consider.

Steve Schoner/ams
http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification