[meteorite-list] Expensive?

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:43 2004

Dear Matteo and List Members,

This string started out as "what is the most expensive meteorite and how
does this compare to other things?" and then an old price list came up. Now
today's prices are being compared to an old list when the economy was
better. Like every other collectible market, right now, meteorites dropped
in price just like the stock market corrected itself. Every market has its
ups and downs. When the economy is bad people tend to spend money on
necessities not collectibles. When people have more disposable income
things like meteorites will be less burdensome on budgets. This will
increase demand, the supply will go down, more people will join in and
presto collectors will be wishing for the good old days (right now) when
meteorites could be bought for next to nothing in relative terms. If you
added 10% more buyers to the mix prices would double over a period of a
couple of months then people would complain the price is too high.

We have been taking advantage of the lower prices right now and are using
this opportunity to expand our collection. Then when the economy returns in
a couple of years we will be smiling instead of complaining.

I would not worry long-term about the prices being in ruin. Only if we were
in it for the short-term would I be concerned.

Wishing everybody rich rewards,

Adam