[meteorite-list] Meteorite prices

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:43 2004

Hi Adam and all,
        Several people have made excellent points about the
Meteorite Market downturn of the last several years.
        They are all right, as MANY, MANY factors went into
this downturn. However, there is more to the story....
        Look foreword to my METEORITE MARKET TRENDS
column in the July issue of METEORITE TIMES.
        Best wishes, Michael

on 6/27/03 12:09 AM, Adam Hupe at adamhupe_at_attbi.com wrote:

> Hello again Sterling and List,
>
> I used to run a technology corporation and consumer electronics is a
> completely different beast. Technology drives computer hardware into
> obsolescence before it is even in a resellers inventory and the supply is
> unlimited tagging both the consumer and the distributor.
>
> The problem with meteorites is a supply and demand issue, as well. Where it
> differs is there is no such thing as obsolescence or unlimited supply when
> discussing meteorites. It may appear there is an unlimited supply because
> of the surplus coming out of NWA right now and this has affected price. An
> even bigger problem is consumer confidence. When the last generation of
> collectors decided to cash in at the first signs of decline it snowballed
> just like the stock market. Add an increase in supply from NWA and a bad
> economy and you have all the proper conditions for a long-term decline. The
> market will turn around through proper promotion of meteorites (educating
> people to appreciate what they represent), decreased supply from NWA which
> is already showing signs of slowing down and when dealers realize meteorites
> are not commodities. Dealers who sell meteorites like commodities will not
> be around too long because their margins will shrink to unbearable levels
> and they will not be able to sell enough volume to offset this lack of
> profit. Its called a thinning of resources (money). If you do not leave
> enough money to restock then you are out of business. I could go on forever
> about this but I have to pack for a short four-day expedition.
>
> All the best,
>
> Adam

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."
   ...George W. Bush to Sam Donaldson, 8/17/93
--
Worth Seeing:
-  Earth at night from satellite:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg