[meteorite-list] Re: Dealer Refunds

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:43 2004

Dear Steve and List:

Excellent question Steve; look at the interesting discussion you started!

I would like to mention something specific to this matter: Steve was
offering some of the best Park Forest stones available, and probably
*the* best small, complete individuals. I know this for a fact
because I watched him find most of them (read all about it in the
upcoming issue of "Meteorite").

When there is a limited amount of an exciting new meteorite available
-- or in this case an exciting, new, unique, American-major-city
witnessed fall meteorite, with fireball videos, busted cars and
houses, and the whole works to accompany it, collectors are
understandably very keen to get some. Those that *must* have a piece,
or want to pick from the cream of the crop, will buy early and
perhaps pay a premium. Those that gamble and wait may get a lower
price later on eBay, when the initial demand has been met (and may be
picking from lesser quality specimens as a result), or they could
discover that there is none left at all. If you buy early on to
ensure that you get a good specimen, there's no use griping later
because the price has dropped.

Steve, your customer's request is nothing but sour grapes. He was
complaining about the price back then, but bought from you anyway.
He's still complaining about the price, and now hoping to get a hand
out. Don't even think about it. He's lucky to have those stones --
which you found through hard work and skillful strewn field mapping
-- and I happen to know that the price he paid was very fair. Similar
stones have sold elsewhere for more.

BTW, by posting your ethics question to the List, you have covered
yourself in the event that this character does have the poor taste to
complain about you in public (not that anyone would take him
seriously).

Your hunting pal,

Geoff N.