[meteorite-list] Re: Dealer Refunds

From: SSachs9056_at_aol.com <SSachs9056_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:44 2004

In a message dated 6/28/2003 12:36:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
Sharkkb8_at_aol.com writes:

<< aking a slightly different tack, how about proposing this to the
 refund-seeking customer:

 "OK, you're unhappy that the price of this meteorite has fallen since your
 purchase, so you expect me to financially compensate you. Tell you
 what.....I'll agree to do that. But only if YOU agree to send ME money for
any meteorite
 you bought from me that went UP in value."

 I'll bet he won't think that to be "fair", although I can't think why not. >>

GREGORY and LIST,

So, so, true. It really is the resposibility of the buyer to assume some of
the responsibility in these transactions. For example, I bought 35grams of
Camel Donga from David New about 8 years ago--for about $6.00 a gram. It has
appreciated in price and value. Would it be fair for me to send him additional
money because it has increased in value? Whether it's coin collecting, purchases
in antiques, stamps, etc; sometimes it's just the way of the market. Buy
low--sell high. Buy high--sell higher. Buy high--the bottom drops out---that's the
breaks.

No one forced this individual to make the purchase. I have found that
meteorites can have a large flux in pricing--which (has been mentioned) seems to be
dictated year in and year out. Steve...it's my opinion that a refund is not
due, and would possibly be setting a dangerous precedent in meteorite sales.

My two grams worth.

Steven L. Sachs / IMCA# 9210