[meteorite-list] Re: Dealer Refunds - Conclusion

From: MeteorHntr_at_aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:44 2004

--part1_109.25450913.2c309fc7_boundary

Hello List,

I suppose it is time to put an end to this thread.

Let me do it by offering a little bit of a deeper explanation as to what
happened. Before I started the thread, I reluctantly agreed to give my customer
his refund, but I warned him that if he accepted a refund from me, under what I
told him I thought was unreasonable circumstances, that I would no longer do
any business with him in the future.

Not that I like to cut off any customer's money or any upward pressure in
future ebay biddings they might give, I felt that I did not want to do business
with someone that I felt would change the rules in the middle of transactions
in the future. However, I was completely comfortable in making the refund if
he was comfortable in not being able to buy from me in the future. (I feel
that many times I offer very good deals, even below current market values at
times, and that missing out on them in the future, was punishment enough for him
recouping a couple of dollars with this current deal.)

After informing him of that (but before he could reply to me if he indeed
wanted to take the money back in exchange for the specimen) I made the first post
to the list. I did so after thinking about the situation and actually second
guessing whether I had a right to think his request was unreasonable in the
first place.

Well, it seems that the response was about 25 people agreeing with me and 0
agreeing with my customer. Fortunately for me, my customer is a member of the
list and he was able to read these posts. Not that my intention was to change
his mind, or to embarrass him, I really wanted to keep the discussion of the
facts on the list to the moral dilemma. However, the customer wrote me
stating that he realized he was wrong (or at least I think that is what he said, I
sometimes have a hard time understanding his broken English). [oops, did that
give him away?]

I have communicated with my customer, and we have reached an agreement in the
ordeal where he is making his acquisition upon our previously agreed to
circumstances.

While I was content to give the refund, I am happy that the deal is going
through as originally agreed upon.

While this topic involved a Park Forest specimen, and partially was brought
about by a fluctuation in perceived retail prices of Park Forest specimens,
that really didn't have a bearing on the moral question involved.

However I do want to toss in my opinion on the values and prices of Park
Forest specimens. As Jim Strope (I think) mentioned, I too really think there is
just a temporary dip in the prices on the Park Forest specimens. There are
some events and dynamics at work that I sincerely believe will cause a spike in
demand and thus a spike in the values of Park Forest Specimens the next couple
of months, especially with the small individuals that I have found. There
are quite a few different factors that may or may not effect the values in the
near future, and we will have to see how it all plays out.

But I do not agree with the opinion (stated as fact by some) that the values
of Park Forest are continuing to drop. I agree that much of the established
meteorite market have had their needs filled by now, and fewer of them are
competing for remaining specimens for sale, but there is really very little left
to be sold. I know quite a few dealers that have been sold out for some time.

Yes, there are two big stones whose final destination is not yet determined.
If these end up in institutions, or remain with their finders for a long time
or in private hands and not end up being cut and distributed, there will be
BIG shortage in a few months time. If they end up being cut and brought to the
retail market, it will have an effect on the values of slices and to a lesser
degree small whole stones. More small stones might be able to be found, but I
have struck out the last 12 days in the strewnfield, so I am pessimistic too
many more will be found. Besides, anyone who goes up there to hunt and finds
one or two is not likely to want to sell them. Those will probably be held
onto forever.

Anything, from unusual research findings, to more nationwide or worldwide
publicity, to new collectors joining the hobby (as they occasionally do) even
over the short run will put extra demand on these unspoken for specimen that I
don't think there is supply enough to fill at current prices. This gives me
optimism that the prices could and probably will go up.

Let's revisit this issue in 6 months or so from now and see what happens.

Steve Arnold

Subj: Dealer Refunds