[meteorite-list] Rock-Picking Farmer Finds $1 Million Meteorite In

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:44 2004

Ron kindly suggested:

> I'm curious as to what type it is as well. Both articles didn't say.
> It looks to be either an iron or stony-iron. Because it is being
> touted as a one-of-a-kind meteorites. I would guess it is in
> the stony-iron class.

Hi Folks,

The rock in the article is the Milton Pallasite that I wrote about in
Meteorite Magazine in the May 2002 issue.

Milton is a unique pallasite that appears to be somewhere between the main
group pallasites and the Eagle Station pallasites but not directly on the
line between them. There are also some interesting chemical similarities
between Milton and carbonaceous chondrites.

Milton is likely material from an asteroid as yet unrepresented in our
collections.

Given the price of Eagle Station, the $500/g figure is not quite so
surprising.

Cheers,

Martin