[meteorite-list] Re: Petrologic types and point values

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:48 2004

The divisions are mostly based on measurements of induced
thermoluminescence, which changes in response to crystallization of
feldspar in chondrule glass. Induced TL changes by a factor of 1000 across
the type 3's, so a logarithmic scale was created, and divided into 10
slices. I don't know if any parameter is linearly correlated with these
divisions (e.g., feldspar content, peak metamorphic temperature, volatile
element contents)... in fact, I doubt it.

Also, TL is not a perfect measurement, and other parameters are factored
into the assignments of subtypes. These include homogeneity of silicate
compositions, volatile contents, degree of matrix recrystallization, and
other things. The properties of the actual meteorites are quite
complex. Ultimately, the main usefulness of the subtype assigned to each
meteorite is that you can compare it to other meteorites and say which is
more "primitive."

jeff