[meteorite-list] favorite chondrites

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:48 2004

My list of my favorite 'ordinaries': let me first say, that 'ordinaries' are
always my favorite, and in some sense I think it is almost blasphemic to
name them "Ordinaries".

1) Kilabo (Kilbabo?) LL6. Such a beatifull breccia, light and dark. A beaty!
B.t.w., in the preprint Met. Bul. it is spelled as Kilbabo?

2) Bandong LL6. Also a breccia; and it fell in what then was the Dutch East
Indies (now Indonesia), where my late father and grandparents lived. 'Tempo
doeloe', for those of you which understand Malay or are Dutch.

3) Djati-Pengilon H6. For the same reason: it is from what was then the
Dutch East Indies. And it is loaded with metal specks, which on the dark
matrix background makes for a reminiscence of a star spangled sky.

4) Tjerebon L5. Same reason of geographic origin again. It has a peculiarly
thick fusion crust and somewhat peculiarly coarse looking (don't know how to
better describe it) matrix.

5) This place is shared by two. One is my 4.2 grams Pultuks 'pea' (which
somehow keeps that peculiar smell of hagish and Scotsch Whisky, even after 2
years...). The historic character (not the Scottish episode is meant with
that...) pertaining to this piece makes it attractive to me.
Ending at an even place is my piece of Valera. Here again it is the
historic side (and a touch of my bloodthirsty side): it hit a cow. What an
honour for a cow! Would the poor animal have dreamt of becoming so famous? I
actually feel this cow should get a monument.

- Marco