[meteorite-list] impactite vs. impact glass

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:49 2004

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/SCMR/docs/paper_12/scmr_paper_12_5.pdf

Hello Dave and Dennis and all,

This USGS paper raises more questions.

Under the term "Impact Melt Breccia" it recommends
that it's use be "discarded"!

It doesn't suggest a replacement term. It's not
obvious to me what the new term should be, so could
someone tell me, what is the "preferred" term?

Since the author is Stoffler, I'm assuming these terms
are applicable for use in describing meteorites. But
this may not be the case. I may be wrong in my
assumption, and this list of terms may be only
applicable for metamorphic processes involving Terran,
Lunar, and Martian impact events and their resultant
impactites.

Is there a separate list of "approved" terms for
asteroidal impact events and meteorites?

More questions still,
BOb V.

-------------------------------
[meteorite-list] impactite vs. impact glass
Dennis Harries dennis_harries_at_hotmail.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:42:37 +0000

<P>Hi Dave,</P>
<P>I think these are the most official definitions on
impact rocks (by IUGS):</P>
<P><A
href="http://www.bgs.ac.uk/SCMR/docs/paper_12/scmr_paper_12_5.pdf">http://www.bgs.ac.uk/SCMR/docs/paper_12/scmr_paper_12_5.pdf</A></P>
<P>Impactite is the general term for rocks affected by
impact metamorphism, including breccias, melt rocks,
impact glasses, tektites ......</P>
<P>Best wishes</P>
<P>Dennis Harries</P>
<P><BR>