[meteorite-list] Meteor Chunks Crash In South Suburb - Illinois - STONES RECOVERED

From: S.Singletary <jumper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:52 2004

>"People are being urged to "turn over" finds to the scientific
>community."
>
>I want to know, do we have to? Why would the scientific community need all
>the stones? Is it like the old woman meteorite where they cut of 600 or so
>pounds to study?
>
>Thanks, Tom
>The proudest member of the IMCA 6168

Speaking as a science minded person, some analysis do take up a lot of
material. But this does raise a question I've been thinking about for a
long time though that I would like to hear what you guys think - if the
science on these rocks hadn't been done - if no one had studied
achondrites, chondrites, and irons to know where they come from or why they
are so special - do you think they would still be as interesting to
dealers/collectors and command the money that is paid out for them now?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Steven

Steven Singletary
54-1224
Dept. Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences
M.I.T.
Cambridge, MA 02139
Tel - 617.253.6398
Fax - 617.253.7102