[meteorite-list] RECENT LL6 FALLS

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:52 2004

Hello List,

This is amazing!

First Bensour, then Kilabo, and now Park Forest!

And they all look alike!

I just got off of the phone talking to Paul Sipiera
and he told me the same thing that Greg and Adam Hupe
reported in their latest post:

"...an LL6 chondrite like Bensour and Kilabo but with
a courser crust."

After I hung up the phone, I went back and reread
Paul's LPSC 2003 abstract. What a coincidence! In
the very same month that he publishes a paper about
the similarities between Bensour and Kilabo, another
meteorite, from the SAME parent body, literally falls
on top of him!

Paul recounted one recovery story after another. Too
many to start re-telling here. He said that this was
an unbelievable, once-in-a-lifetime day. (This from
the man who has collected meteorites in Antarctica;-)

And it starts all over again, tomorrow...

For reference, here is the abstract I mentioned:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2003/pdf/1135.pdf

KILABO AND BENSOUR: A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF TWO RECENT
LL6 FALLS
FROM AFRICA. K.J. Cole and P.P. Sipiera, Schmitt
Meteorite Research Group, Harper
College, Palatine, IL 60067, USA;
psipiera_at_planets.org.