[meteorite-list] Park Forest

From: Michael Farmer <farmerm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:53 2004

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C2F57C.7D48D470

More information. I had dinner and drinks tonight with Steve Witt, Al =
Lang, Adam Hupe, Al Mitterling and Steve Arnold, (NOT Chicago:).
 We are all outraged at what has happened here.=20
Ill explain more. The fact is that yesterday morning several pieces were =
sold for $1 gram, not an unfair price in the field, low but no big deal. =
Then the newspapers and news told everyone that the value is $500 per =
ounce! The Chicago Field Museum curator was telling the police that the =
people had to sell to them and not to any collectors. So now many people =
are going to the Field Museum tomorrow to sell their pieces to the =
museum. They are under the assumption that they must sell them there as =
that is what the local police is passing on. The prices here are now not =
under $10 gram, and the people whose homes were hit are at $50 gram =
plus. Completely out of the realm of reality considering that many homes =
were hit here. If it were one, I could understand.=20
Another note, the strewnfield is NOT 80 miles long, many people started =
reporting slag and asphalt everywhere. There are 30 to 40 kilos known, =
more likely but press coverage is extreme and everyone knows because the =
TV told them that it is $500 an ounce.=20
So, it looks like if it isn't snowing tomorrow, that ill hunt all day =
and leave here Sunday. There is nothing more to be gained trying to =
bargain with the locals. Maybe later they will sell some, but it will =
NOT be cheap, I don't see how it could.=20
I have a few fragments that hit a house, and with photos and pieces of =
plastic siding broken off the wall. This was from the impact on Winslow =
Street. If anyone wants a piece or partslice of these fragments, let me =
know, ill make a list, figure the price when I get home, and see which =
orders I can fill. It would be best if you told me the exact amount you =
want to spend. This is all Ill have for sale.=20
Mike Farmer
PS. Portales was a fun but stressful hunt, this one blows Portales to =
hell, people are very very unfriendly here, not all of course, but the =
Museum did dealers and collectors very wrong here with what they said, =
Ill be rethinking and dealings from now on with this type of bad press. =
I have donated over $100,000 in meteorites to museums, and now to have =
them telling people that all the dealers are here to rip them off really =
chaps my $%#$#$

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C2F57C.7D48D470

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>More information. I had dinner and =
drinks tonight=20
with Steve Witt, Al Lang, Adam Hupe, Al Mitterling and Steve Arnold, =
(NOT=20
Chicago:).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;We are all outraged at what has =
happened=20
here. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ill explain more. The fact is that =
yesterday=20
morning several pieces were sold for $1 gram, not an unfair price in the =
field,=20
low but no big deal. Then the newspapers and news told everyone that the =
value=20
is $500 per ounce! The Chicago Field Museum curator was telling the =
police that=20
the people had to sell to them and not to any collectors. So now many =
people are=20
going to the Field Museum tomorrow to sell their pieces to the museum. =
They are=20
under the assumption that they must sell them there as that is what the =
local=20
police is passing on. The prices here are now not under $10 gram, and =
the people=20
whose homes were hit are at $50 gram plus. Completely out of the realm =
of=20
reality considering that many homes were hit here. If it were one, I =
could=20
understand. <BR>Another note, the strewnfield is NOT 80 miles long, many =
people=20
started reporting slag and asphalt everywhere. There are 30 to 40 kilos =
known,=20
more likely but press coverage is extreme and everyone knows because the =
TV told=20
them that it is $500 an ounce. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So, it looks like if it isn't snowing =
tomorrow,=20
that ill hunt all day and leave here Sunday. There is nothing more to be =
gained=20
trying to bargain with the locals. Maybe later they will sell some, but =
it will=20
NOT be cheap, I don't see how it could. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have a few fragments that hit a =
house, and with=20
photos and pieces of plastic siding broken off the wall. This was from =
the=20
impact on Winslow Street. If anyone wants a piece or partslice of these=20
fragments, let me know, ill make a list, figure the price when I get =
home, and=20
see which orders I can fill. It would be best if you told me the exact =
amount=20
you want to spend.&nbsp; This is all Ill have for sale. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Farmer</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>PS. Portales was a fun but stressful =
hunt, this one=20
blows Portales to hell, people are very very unfriendly here, not all of =
course,=20
but the Museum did dealers and collectors very wrong here with what they =
said,=20
Ill be rethinking and dealings from now on with this type of bad press. =
I have=20
donated over $100,000 in meteorites to museums, and now to have them =
telling=20
people that all the dealers are here to rip them off really chaps my=20
$%#$#$</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C2F57C.7D48D470--