[meteorite-list] Park Forest debacle / Art's BDay meteorite

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:53 2004

Hi Bob,
        I agree, the entire scientific community should NOT be held
responsible - BUT, I also think these "few" who misled the public should
be PUBLICLY confronted. This is an abomination. Mike Farmer is right,
the private sector has supported the scientific community from the
beginning, starting with Nininger and going up to this day. This is an
outrage.
        Yes, it may have been only one or two "scientists" - but they
specifically, should be appropriately reprimanded via
letters to their supervisors, boards of directors, the media involved,
the public at large, etc, etc. I am not saying they should loose their
jobs, but they certainly should have their chains yanked - and hard.
This is not how the game is played. They are ALWAYS taken care
of but, clearly, these individuals went way past public appeal for
donations, and possibly, if they actually told the police the public
HAD TO sell material to them - they committed outright fraud.
        As far as I am concerned, until their respective institution(s)
formally and publicly reprimand them, anyone in the private sector
that sells or trades with said institutions is a fool. You are feeding
a dog that bites you.
        Fair is fair, and these jive turkeys crapped on the private sector
big time and betrayed the public trust. This is an outrage.
        As far as limited material - DO PayPal Mike $ for Art. DO IT NOW:
This fell on his birthday and Mike has several specimens. The first
should go to Art! SEND MIKE a Few Bucks now. There are about 100
of us that are fairly active on this list. If we all send a few bucks, that
is enough for a good one to go to Art. (Lurkers, you are welcome to
be in on the birthday present for the list benefactor!)
        Sincerely, Michael Blood