[meteorite-list] Museum Statement & Park Forest?

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:53 2004

Dear Listees:

=46irstly, greetings to all our List members in the field in Chicago,=20
and congrats to those who have already made recoveries. This is the=20
most excitement we've had on the List in a good long time.

Secondly, I am very curious about something: I wonder if the comments=20
attributed to person(s) at the Field Museum accusing meteorite=20
dealers of "ripping local people off" were heard first-hand by=20
anyone, or if such a statement was just hearsay?

Of course we all agree with Bob Verish's positive comments regarding=20
"the close working relationship between researchers and the amateur=20
collectors/dealers, an alliance that both have worked long and hard=20
to develop." Many of us -- myself included -- have very cordial=20
relationships with members of meteorite academia; there are several=20
prominent academics here on the Meteorite List, and we wouldn't have=20
it any other way.

However, after the many meteorite donations made to academia by those=20
very same people who are working in the field today -- Al Lang, Al=20
Mitterling, Mike Farmer, Steve Arnold (IMB), the Hup=E9s and others --=20
such comments are really unwarranted and in very poor taste. If true,=20
such behavior should be considered before making future trades and=20
donations to that institution.

In the meantime, good hunting.

Regards,

Geoff N.