[meteorite-list] Volcano Bombs & Impact Breccia Identification

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:55 2004

March 31, 2003

Greetings Meteorite Enthusiasts!

I may not have found an actual space rock yet, but I
have strong suspicions that I did when it deals with
impact crater material. Keep in mind these are rock
pieces found in end moraines deposited by glaciers,
since there is no bedrock near my location as far as
I know.

This is where I need to ask the questions:

1. Are volcano bombs commonly found in Michigan and
are they ever mistaken for impact breccias?

2. Also, are there any good clues that distinguish
terrestrial breccias from the impact created ones?

Thank you again for everyone's help! I hope you all
are continuing to keep finding those black "Park
Forest" rocks! It just so happens that one of the
pictures I saw of one reminds me of the black melt
veins seen in the Rose City H5 chondrite.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA