[meteorite-list] Main Mass Status

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:34 2004

Well, no doubt, Hoba is quite sure a main mass...;- Anyway, the mass of
the item reaching the
atmosphere canīt be exactly calculated, neather the mass, which reach
the ground in
all cases. Some of the calculated mass of Canyon Diablo is still
missing, H.H. Niningerīs theory
was the meteorite spheres, vaporides metal, which rained down on the
large area. Some
still think, the missing mass is somewhere in the crater. So there is a
difference between
the mass and the main mass...
As I underrestand the main mass, itīs the largest whole piece
recovered, but no one can
say, if there is a larger piece missing in many cases. If the main mass
is cutted, this has no
matter, itīs just a term to print in cataloques. The most important
meaning for the main
mass is for the owner of it, and in this case a gram or two can mean
something, at least
in pricing of the item...;-
Once, when the main mass is reported and accepted, thatīs it. If a
larger piece was founded
later, there is no mean to change the original description.
This is just my opinion,but seems, it may be wise to have a clear
regulation for the main
mass, but who will do the work, NC or the Society ?

pekka