[meteorite-list] Southwest Impact Study photos

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:35 2004

--- Mark Jackson <b0rtz2003_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> lol . . . that CC looks a LOT like these doesn't it?
> http://www.saharamet.com/orders/CO3/DaG749.html
> hummmm . . .

Mark,

Having done meteorite ID for years, I have "seen" a
lot of meteorwrongs that look like meteorites.

What I have learned is that one cannot say beyond a
shadow of a doubt that a specimen is a meteorite until
it is in hand.

Just because something "looks" like a meteorite in a
picture does not mean that it is in fact a meteorite.
It is amazing how many times I get samples from people
that say. "It looks exactly like" (a picture that has
no relationship to their find), and it turns out to be
a normal earth rock.

You need to have a certified astrogeologist look at
your finds.

LOL!

Hummm...

Until then I remain skeptical.