[meteorite-list] Gottit!

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:36 2004

Hi Dave and All,

I got my Jan 03 MAPS several days ago, but nothing more recent.

In the January issue, there is an interesting article about the Bishunpur
LL3.1 chondrite. A line that caught my eye is a quote from Afiattalab and
Wasson (1980) who "suggest that Bishunpur is more unequilibrated that
Semarkona [LL3.0] which is often considered the most primitive ordinary
chondrite."

The article is filled with amazing electron images of chondrule features
including a pic of a microchrondrule. The authors write:

"The presence of microchondrules in chondrule rims suggest that the
fine-grained material was in the immediate vicinity of the microchondrules
when they formed, and therefore dust must have been present during the
chondrule formation."

All this leads up to the author's inferences about the conditions in the
solar nebula.

For a more macroscopic look at Bishunpur, here is a link to a picture of the
piece in my collection. The upper-right edge is crusted.

http://aristotle.isu.edu/bishunpur_1.jpg

Happy viewing.

Martin