[meteorite-list] Barringer Meteor $$$$

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:36 2004

Everybody,

    While these stories make great folklore, they are metallurgically unlikely.
The XIXth century technology for handling the impure poorly crystalized iron of
those days would be useless against meteoritic iron, a notoriously difficult
material.
    You may recall the story told of the Tolucca meteorite (XVIIIth century
Mexico), that a local smith spent weeks trying to get a small corner off and
failed after ruining most of his tools.
    The West is peppered with ghost towns where every commercial iron artifact
turned to red dust in 60 years, while an iron meteorite in the high desert has an
exposure lifetime 50,000 times longer. If they ever put a big chunk of Canyon
Diablo in a smelter in El Paso, I bet it ruined the smelter!
    I can't recall the date when Barringer first bought the mineral rights to the
crater and surrounding lands, but I believe it was early enough (1915?) to rule
out engine blocks! But if you ever find a Canyon Diablo bathtub, just think of
what it would bring on eBay!
    Dr. Moulton is Forest Ray Moulton of the University of Chicago whose book,
Celestial Mechanics, had its last edition in 1929, but the problem discussion of
calculating the kinetic energy release of a big meteorite had been in the book
for many previous editions.
    It's still a killer book on celestial mechanics, by the way, and still in
print. I can recommend it if you like difficulty and challenge. I was forced to
work my way through it (and its infamous problems) by my teacher, Noah Crane, who
had been one of Moulton's grad students in 1907, and every time I pick up a
pencil to scribble a calculation, I can feel Dr. Moulton frowning behind me even
though I never experienced his formidable frown in real life.

Sterling