[meteorite-list] Re: Falling into reading

From: Marcia Swanson <MJSOfArc_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:37 2004

Hello List,
I have stand behind Ryan on his philosophy, in this case. He has made
some very valid comments. I don't know anywhere near what most of you
know about meteorites, but I do know about kids. What got me looking for
this type of list, where I can learn as much as I can from people who DO
know what they're talking about, was in trying to validate what my
Grandmother told me was a meteorite as a child ,in our city, because
that is what she was told it was. She instilled in me, the adventure,
uniqueness, and awe, of where they came from and , actually being able
to reach out and touch one, how significant that was to me! Turned out
that now I'm 52 years old, and I don't feel betrayed, because it turned
out to be an erratic, because years ago she planted the seed, the drive
to " Catch a falling star and put it in my pocket.....never let it fade
away!" It made me want to come to learned people like yourselves, to
find my own meteorite, when I found out ours wasn't. Much the same way
alot of these children are being inspired by the unique mystery and
importance of meteorite collecting, and will come to maybe even some of
you on the list, or somebody knowledgable ,when they're ready to try
and find their own.
These kids are NOT looking at her piece of rock thinking " Oh boy! I'm
gonna find one and get rich ", and neither is she putting out that facet
of Meteorite collecting. Money doesn't add into their equation of what a
meteorite is, it's about the dream of someday maybe being lucky enough
to find one of their own! There are so many different types of
meteorites, that unless someone "rains on thier parade" now, looking
back, they will never even realise or remember what her actual stone
looked like, just that she gave them something greater, and that's the
dream of someday finding one for themselves. She's selling a story, and
getting paid quite hansomely to do so, granted. It's up to the schools
to decide if they want to pay her fee. Now if she went to sell it on
e-bay. that would be a different story ! Sometimes under special
conditions, like this ,more harm is done, being "too politically
correct." I agree with Ryan, let them all have their dreams, for the
future meteorite collectors of the world. She is doing no harm to the
children, and as for her other rude actions against other
writer.......well I quess thats not my business and she'll have to
wrestle with her own concience. I'm thinking about the kids.
Kid's ( little and big ones) put special significance on stars
......".Make a wish! It's a falling star"! We can thank Walt Disney for
this one........"Or would you like to swing on a star, carry moonbeams
home in a jar?", ect. Let her do what she's doing, which is more than
just telling a meteorite story, then..........if and when the time
comes, there will be plenty of people to correctly help them find the
real thing, like you all are doing for me by answering my questions and
giving me the chance to learn what I can, to make my dream, implanted by
my Grandmother years ago, come true. Thanks, Marcie