[meteorite-list] Re: Barringer Meteor $$$$

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:38 2004

Bob and all,

In looking at the BLM permit that was issued to a
meteorite hunter here in AZ, I noticed that it was
issued by the U.S.BLM for "Federal" holdings not
"State" holdings which are adminsitered under AZBLM
guidelines.

Theoretically, the two recreation guidelines should be
the same, but in fact they are not.

This is the weird world of Arizona. And the State BLM
no longer allows for permitting meteorite hunting, at
the very least Meteor Crater where their seems to be a
special relationship with the grazing permit holders
out there. One can hunt rabitts, and maybe even
rocks, but not meteorites.

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification