[meteorite-list] Falls trough ice...

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:38 2004

Hello, Bjorn and the list,

just wondering, is there´s not more falls trough ice? In fact I
found only Bjurbole, Finland 1899, total known weight 330
kg:s. Some parts was recovered from the sea, and they were
gone trough, part of the fragments were on the ice.
Just interrested in this question, because we have speculated
about this possibility in the Finnish Astronomical Association lately.
In my opinion, the stone, lets say under 100 kg:s doesn´t go
trough ice 40cm - 60cm, it will break the ice partly and also
itself in fragments, if it´s dropping in free fall, some 200 meters
/ second. The bigger iron may go trough, just breaking the ice and
leave some smaller fragments of ice left, but couldn´t make a very
large hole anyway.
That´s, because we had a hoax here, a local geophysican found
lately a hole 5 meters x 7 meters on ice, large iceblocks were around
it on the quite wide area. When I saw the first pictures of the hole,
it was clear, it was not meteorite origin, but that was a bit too late,
this gentleman allraedy had informed media...
So, it would be highly apreciated if some on the list could give some
more information and if there are pics available somewhere of the
real meteorite holes on the ice.

best regads,

pekka