[meteorite-list] Crater pics updated

From: Mark Jackson <b0rtz2003_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:38 2004

--0-1869160483-1052760629=:51567

Yes, I understand the political nature of the academic community more now than ever. My intention by posting photos here and elsewhere was always to drum up academic interest and, hopefully, support. Certainly they are not going to come here on my say so alone. I am not trying to sell anything to anyone or otherwise benefit, because I understand that cannot happen without the backing of scientific work I am incapable of providing for many reasons. In the meantime, I'm spending money and time I don't have pursuing the evidence that's going to "turn the tide". I can't help it . . . I believe in it. For those of you who think I am ruining some pristine scientific site, think again. This area has been public access land for some time. The place has been dug up pretty badly by folks looking for geodes (The geodes are actually a couple of miles away from where I work, but the dig holes are everywhere). The damage from this activity has far eclipsed any I could possibly generate. In addition, I explained my collect
ion regimen in previous posts and it meets a pretty high standard. You and anyone else are welcome to come out here and see it for yourselves; and even help if you like. I have no mineral claim with respect to meteorites. My interpretation of California BLM law is that I can collect up to 25 pounds per day, up to 250 pounds per year of any type of rock (excepting fossils) from BLM managed lands. People typically pool these poundage reqs among friends (eg. a "group" of three people pool thier 250 lbs to a total of 750 lbs). California BLM cannot hope to control meteorites smaller than 25 lbs. under the current law. The Old Woman meteorite could have been circumvented by the prospectors had they merely based thier mineral claim on any local minable mineral (eg. gold, etc.) and then removed the meteorite during thier "operations". Once off BLM land and in control of the prospectors, BLM has little chance of recovering control of that meteorite. I am NOT condoning any such practice, just pointing out the ridicul
ousness of BLM's policies. Frankly, I'm willing to relinquish all meteorites over 25 pounds to BLM's control; what do I need with a piece bigger than that? Regards, Mark

--0-1869160483-1052760629=:51567

<DIV>Yes, I understand the political nature of the academic community more now than ever. My intention by posting photos here and elsewhere was always to drum up academic interest and, hopefully, support. Certainly they are not going to come here on my say so alone. I am not trying to sell anything to anyone or otherwise benefit, because I understand that cannot happen without the backing&nbsp;of scientific work I am incapable of providing for many reasons. In the meantime, I'm spending money and time I don't have pursuing the evidence that's going to "turn the tide". I can't help it . . . I believe in it.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>For those of you who think I am ruining some pristine scientific site, think again. This area has been public access land for&nbsp;some time. The place has been dug up pretty badly by folks looking for geodes (The geodes are actually a couple of miles away from where I work, but the dig holes are everywhere). The damage from this activity has far eclipsed any I could possibly generate. In addition, I explained my collection regimen in previous posts and it meets a pretty high standard.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>You and anyone else are welcome to come out here and see it for yourselves; and even help if you like. I have no mineral claim with respect to meteorites. My interpretation of California BLM law is that I can collect up to 25 pounds per day, up to 250 pounds per year of any type of rock (excepting fossils) from BLM managed lands. People typically pool these poundage reqs among friends (eg. a "group" of three people pool thier 250 lbs to&nbsp;a&nbsp;total of 750 lbs).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>California BLM cannot hope to control meteorites smaller than 25 lbs. under the current law. The Old Woman meteorite could have been circumvented by the prospectors had they merely based thier mineral claim on any local minable mineral (eg. gold, etc.) and then removed the meteorite during thier "operations". Once off BLM land and in control of the prospectors, BLM has little chance of recovering control of that meteorite. I am NOT condoning any such practice, just pointing out the ridiculousness of BLM's policies. Frankly, I'm&nbsp;willing to relinquish all meteorites over 25 pounds to BLM's control; what do I need with a piece bigger than that?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Mark</DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>