[meteorite-list] Falls ON or through ice - UPDATED List

From: (wrong string) ørn Sørheim <bsoerhei_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:39 2004

Marco, Steve, Mike, Pekka & List,
I have updated the list with the new information today:

Current Falls ON or through ICE List (15 entries):
-Canada
Great Bear Lake H6 1936 1)
Holman Island LL 1951
Bruderheim L6 1960 2)
Revelstoke CI1 1965 3)
Vilna L5 1967 4)
Tagish Lake CI2 2000

-Norway
Ski L6 1848
Grefsheim L5 1976

-Sweden
Hassle H5 1869
Skåne-Tranås ? 1922 5)
Långhalsen L6 1947

-Finland
Luotolax HOW 1813
Bjurbøle L/LL4 1899 ** THROUGH Ice

-Russia
Shirokovsky PAL 1956 ** THROUGH Ice, BUT doubtful and rock
under scrutiny

-Kazakstan
Zaizan H5 1963

Comments:
1)See comments by Mark Bostick on this list today.

2)See comments by Marco Langbroek on this list today, needs more info,
seems it was at least mainly a fall on firm ground.

3) Harvey H. Nininger found just ~1g (TKW) of this meteorite in black SNOW that
search parties had found over 2 months afterwards. Nininger comments on this
in his autobiography: 'Find a Falling Star' pp.233-35. He mention no lakes.
Needs more info. Bruderheim also mentioned on pp 223-4.
The Revelstoke entry size was said to be a million tons, by the way!

4) Vilna was found in SNOW on a lake. And is just 144 milligram! But still fits
the criteria, I would say. I found this myself yesterday, doing a new search!

5) Likely, a hole 20x18 cm was found on a small lake,
   but the bottom of the lake was not searched, it seems.

Thanks Marco, Steve and Mike.
Good luck with a Falls on Ice-page, Pekka! I might publish this list on
a page myself soon, I will guess..

Regards,
Bjørn Sørheim,
 from Icy Norway