[meteorite-list] NP Article, 11-1950 Nininger, Meteor Crater Hunt Futile

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:40 2004

Mark, and all,

This is a crucial article countering the mining claims
of Meteor Crater Enterprises, a fact that their guides
miss.

In 1950, after years of research finding metallic
sphereoids, Nininger proved the equations of Dr.
Moulton who predicted that a large impactor would not
survive the heat generated on impact. Dr. Shoemaker,
later in the early 1960's with his dissertation on
Meteor Crater geology laid out the mechanics of larger
impactors, and further proved that such impactors in
the case of large meteoroids explode in a cloud of
vapor on impact.

All of this in contrast to what Meteor Crater guides
still say:

"The meteor is under the southern rim, for when a
drill was sent under it, it stopped when hitting a
large (metallic) mass."

Got to justify the mining claim, I guess...

Disregarding, Dr. Moulton's theory of impact; Dr.
Nininger's discovery of metallic sphereoids and his
theory based on that that the meteorite exploded into
a cloud of vapor; and lastly Dr. Shoemaker's PhD.
dissertation laying out the exact process in which
this occurred, Meteor Crater Enterprises still promts
their guides to promulgate the idea that the meteoroid
is under the southern rim.

I have heard this mentioned by their guides, each and
every time I have gone there.

(You will never hear MCE give credit to Dr. Nininger
[to them a thief]who spent years of study at Meteor
Crater and pretty much proved that the meteoroid that
make it vaporized on impact... Remember those neat
little cards with a scattering of metallic sphereoids,
that he produced in the 1950's to show that the
meteoroid vaporized on impact?)

Steve Schoner

http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey

http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification