[meteorite-list] Touching all the Bases

From: MARSROX_at_aol.com <MARSROX_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:40 2004

Last night I was on a plane to Costa Rica flipping through the pages of Sports Illustrated. A suitcase removed from the hold causing an hour delay for take off after a man with an Arabic name had not shown for the flight, not meteorites, was on my mind.

To my great surprise, a photo of a slice of Imilac "18 x 18 inches" and, according to the owner Darryl Pitt, shaped like "Home Plate" is being offered this weekend at the I.M. Chiatt Auction for around $50,000, give or take a few thousand foul balls.

Darryl apparently traded for it with Monica Grady, the Keeper of the Meteorites of the Natural History Museum, London, who can be forgiven for not recognizing the American-sport affinity.

Darryl is quoted as hoping that it would be most appropriate if the "Houston Astros" baseball club step up to the plate and bid.

Or maybe the Rockies.

>From 9* North,

Kevin Kichinka