[meteorite-list] Hunters?

From: fcressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:40 2004

Hello Mike, Rob and all,

Rob stated
> as I pointed out in my earlier message, this takes a different
> level of commitment and doggedness.

Actually, in my opinion, I think the levels of commitment and doggedness
whether hunting "cold" and hunting known "strewnfields" are pretty much the
same. Why would your level of commitment change? and why would you expect
your level of doggedness to change? Rob, would you put in any less effort
looking for meteorites at Holbrook than looking on Silver Dry Lake?

In a known strewnfield, Rob previously stated that one has an expectation of
finding a meteorite because others have previously been found. True. But
that doesn't necessarily make it any easier to find a meteorite. Wouldn't
the same would hold true searching a new dry lake bed? Wouldn't Rob have an
expectation of finding a meteorite on an unsearched dry lake because he's
found others in the same type environment? Using the above logic, you could
make the arguement that the only true "hunters" are those who hunt
meteorites "cold" in the rainforest because that's even more difficult and
requires even more commitment and a greater degree of doggedness than
hunting dark meteorites on a light colored terrain.

I also think the expectation finding a meteorite, whether in a known
strewnfield, or in a "cold" area conducive to their being discovered is also
the same. I doubt either of you would "hunt" in the rainforest where the
expectation for finding anything was nil.

This whole thread about "hunters" actually is focused in the wrong
direction. Anyone can hunt. The real key is "finding" and both Mike, Rob,
and many others on the list do that quite well.
Reminds me of the story about fishing. Would you rather be fishing or
catching ;-)

Kudos to all of you "finders", no matter what your "style".

Frank