[meteorite-list] NP Article, 11-1950 Nininger, Meteor Crater Hunt Futile

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:40 2004

Al, and all,

I recall reading somewhere that he found some areas
where the sphereoids were very numerous. 13 tons per
acre?

But his reports of their recovery was so involved in
technique that they would hardly be worth the effort
to recover, as unfortunately the cinders that were
brought in to make the road to the visitor center also
get collected by the magnet.

He then had sort each one out by hand from the much
hugely numerous cinders. Then, I recall that he made
the process a bit more effective by using a shoe box
with the material at one end and then lifting the box
at an angle just below allowing them to drift to the
other side, and then rapping the box lightly.

The spherical vapor products would then be shaken
loose from the more irregular cinders and wind up on
the opposite side of the box. Further hand sorting
under a microscope would further separate them from
terrestrial material.

When one thinks about it, each one of these were
observed by Nininger himself, and separated out for
what they are.

When I spoke with him a year or so before he passed
on, I asked him where I could get an ounce or so of
sphereoids. He said that they were rare and that such
would probably cost a $1,000 per/oz if one could find
them. And he said that they were very hard to sort
from terrestrial material.

In my collection I have 2 special Nininger made
"Sphereoid Stars" which he made for friends, and I
have 6 grams of specially sorted sphereoids purchased
from him.

They are real treasures in my collection.

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey