[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorite-list digest, Vol 1 #1687 - 21 msgs

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:40 2004

Steve and all,

While I know how you feel about Meteor Crater and MCE, I believe that the
Barringer Family's claim on the land is very solid. I don't think that a big
metallic mass is necessary.

My understanding of the Mining Act is that you have to TRY and extract
commercially valuable minerals for a specific period of time. After the time
is up, the land is yours. It isn't necessary to ACTUALLY remove minerals, or
turn a profit, or even show that the minerals you were looking for are
actually there. It is the act of TRYING that makes the land yours. And
nobody can fault Daniel Barringer for trying.

Given this, I find it hard to fathom why they would say the "main mass" is
still there.

Still, I am not a lawyer, and I do not play one on TV either. I could be
mistaken. Come to think of it, my understanding of this law comes from
reading a book about the crater.

The book was published by Meteor Crater Enterprises. :)

-----
Bob Martino, Tucson, AZ

Can you really name a star? Read the Truth!
http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/
.

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 07:23:11 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] NP Article, 11-1950 Nininger, Meteor Crater
Hunt Futile
> To: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_msn.com>,
> Meteorite List <meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com>
>
> Mark, and all,
>
> This is a crucial article countering the mining claims
> of Meteor Crater Enterprises, a fact that their guides
> miss.
>
> In 1950, after years of research finding metallic
> sphereoids, Nininger proved the equations of Dr.
> Moulton who predicted that a large impactor would not
> survive the heat generated on impact. Dr. Shoemaker,
> later in the early 1960's with his dissertation on
> Meteor Crater geology laid out the mechanics of larger
> impactors, and further proved that such impactors in
> the case of large meteoroids explode in a cloud of
> vapor on impact.
>
> All of this in contrast to what Meteor Crater guides
> still say:
>
> "The meteor is under the southern rim, for when a
> drill was sent under it, it stopped when hitting a
> large (metallic) mass."
>
> Got to justify the mining claim, I guess...
[snip]