[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorite-list digest, Vol 1 #1687 - 21 msgs

From: mafer <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:40 2004

Hi John and list
John, I have to agree with your interpetation of the law. Today, the laws
are changing and meteorites are fast becoming classified under the fossil
and antiquities laws and not mineral laws around the world, but Barringer
had, if I'm understanding this properly, a patented claim, which means he
had title to that land, free and clear. You can still aquire land in this
manner today in some states where they allow it and it only takes an annual
fee of $100 and improvements on the land (ie roads, work structure and such)
of $500, to apply for a patent, which is basicly a title to the land. From
then on, you pay taxes on the land. Each claim is for 20 acres (40 I think
in Alaska) and you have to do the improvements on each claim.
So, if they want to build a house in the crater, they actually could, but
they would most certainly be hit with a restraining order from doing so and
at that point the state or the feds might be able to take the land away from
them to preserve the feature.
So, by just charging fees and such, they stay within the limits of the law
and by paying taxes, make the state and feds happy.
Mark