[meteorite-list] New Mexico U. Gets Norton Meteorite - Part 1 of 2

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:41 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0003_01C31D6F.E369E850

Hello Bernd and list,

Thanks for the background information Bernd. While one can understand LaP=
az's position, it is a shame he let personal feelings get in the way of f=
urthering the understanding of meteorites...in this case surface features=
. A subject Nininger spoke more of then anyone else I am aware of. =20

To not see the positive effects that Nininger was doing at the time for m=
eteorites would be at the best termed as ignorance. (Ignorance means not=
 knowing).

It was during my current research of Nininger newspaper articles that I s=
tumbled upon the Norton article. I remember from somewhere that LaPaz sa=
id something to the effect that the university getting the meteorite was =
a step towards the advancement of meteorites, which was a reference to Ni=
ninger not getting the stone. I was hoping to find a newspaper article w=
ith such a statement.

As Richard Norton reported at Tucson this year, there are many people who=
 even today do not believe that meteorites should belong in private colle=
ctions. However when one looks at the mass of rare meteorites that have =
been recovered the last 10 years because of my fellow sellers and collect=
ors one has to question that logic. =20

Getting back to Nininger, I have compiled links to all the Nininger newsp=
aper articles I have currently uncovered. =20

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/znpnininger.html

Wishing everyone on the list has been safe from the tornado's that have h=
it the central United States this last month,
Mark Bostick