[meteorite-list] Barwell

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:41 2004

Hello, Walter and the list,

well, Barwell is a "christmas-meteorite" with a quite wide
publicity. It exploded only some 300 feets from the ground,
so it has been a quite nice shower. Also there were many
smassehrs in this fall; car, factory roof, some small fragments
were founded later from a vase.

The British Museum made an offer to buy the fragments,
and quite a large amount of them are in museums and in the
Leicester Space Center. Wery low quantities of Barwell is
on the open market. The bigger hunters were away from
Barwell in 1965...;- So, the TKW is 44+ kg:s, but the british
will keep the material in institutional hands, itīs a bit same,
if you would make an offer for their crown jewellery...

In my opinion the market sets the price, and also the history
of the met plays a great role, as we have seen in Peekskill or
some time ago in Park Forrest. And Barwell has a quite nice
history as a christmas-present from the sky. Anyway, this is
really rarely seen for sale, so it canīt be spoken of Park Forest
and Barwell on the same day. Donīt know the exact amount
available for public, but thatīs not much.

BBC link to Barewell;

http://www.open2.net/science/finalfrontier/tv/barwell.htm

take care,

pekka