[meteorite-list] A new Contest

From: Thetoprok_at_aol.com <Thetoprok_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:41 2004

--part1_1de.946f69c.2bfaf738_boundary

To all List members,

I am announcing a new contest, but don't be alarmed, it should offend nobody
!

This contest is merely a celebration of the wonders that may be discovered
while in pursuit of the satisfying, (although sometimes frustrating), hobby
of hunting meteorites.

Through the past several years my hunting has produced some pretty good
imposters. Here in Michigan where I do a good bit of hunting in my spare
time, the terrain consists of hills and valleys, glacial debris, oxbow lakes
and moraines. All the farm fields have rows and rows of rocks, providing
endless hunting ground, and rocks abound in the woods. Unfortunately the more
rocks, the harder the hunting, and the more possible variations of rock you
can find that sometimes fool the eye. Many have features that mimic
meteorites, be it a ' crust ' created through weathering, or a stone with
circles in it, the result of some igneous process, brought to the surface way
up north in Canada, and subsequently transported here by glacier. You will
find many stones that are dark, and strongly attracted to a magnet, some with
what appears to be slightly oxidized metal flakes inside, and yet others that
are tektite shaped and attract to a magnet. Sometimes they will share
multiple meteorite characteristics, but something always seems to discount
them in the end. As we all know, meteorites are in fact very rare
comparatively speaking.

I have been keeping many of these rocks to build my own sort of data base, or
reference of 'meteorwrongs' found here locally, and in other states. The
foundation of this contest is built of these stones, as well as some
authentic stone meteorites from my collection.

The object of this contest is to sort through 43 pictures and pick the '
rites from the ' wrongs. These pictures were taken through a small
stereo-microscope at 30x or 100x with an Olympus Camedia 4.3 digital camera.
These photo's represent 12 authentic stone meteorites, (I didn't include any
of my irons), and 8 non meteorites, all stone type suspects. Obviously there
are some individuals that have more than 1 photo, to give you a better look,
and to make it more interesting. Some of the photos are exterior crust shots,
some are up close interior shots, and there is an "actual" size, or two as
well.

I will warn you that I have gone out of my way to make this difficult, it may
be a humbling experience for some, and a learning experience for most, I'm
sure. If nothing else it will be lots of fun!
You have 48 hours from right now to study these pics at Mark Bosticks website
at ; <A HREF="http://www.meteoritearticles.com/testmain.html">http://www.meteoritearticles.com/testmain.html</A> You need only give a
"right" or "wrong" for each "suspect" number, ie.."suspect # 27 is a
wrong", "# 28 is a right", etc... as an example. I will take answers in the
order they come, the first person with 100 % correct answers wins a cut and
polished, .168 gram NWA 1068, Martian Shergotite, ($84.00 value) and a ~16
gram Gold Basin chondrite that I collected during the winter of 2000. I cut
and polished it for your enjoyment, it has some nice inclusions. I will also
include a CD with micro photo's of both as an added bonus. Hey, it's not a
ton o' money, but what do you want? : )

In case nobody actually gets 100%, (is it possible?), the first person with
the most right answers wins. As a consolation, anyone else with all the right
answers, given on time, will recieve a small Gold Basin individual or
fragment.

The Rules;

                 You get one guess to start, I will respond to each one in
the order recieved, and tell you that you are the winner or how many you have
wrong, you can then re-submit your answer by 11:59 P.M., Wednesday, May 21.
That is all you get, two chances to get every picture right.

I will admit that some of the photo quality gets lost in the transmission
from my computer to Marks site, the pic's are not the best, so take it easy
on me, but it is all in fun anyway.

Let the game begin ! Good luck to all participants !

*Disclaimer*
                Not all meteorwrongs have been chemically or isotopically
tested at University, or other qualified institute or lab. Holders of this
contest and their constituents will not be held responsible for the
unanticipated consequences that may result from the discovery of, at a later
date, that in fact one or more of said "meteorwrongs" is in fact a
"meteorite".
All 'meteorwrong' diagnosis are based on expert observation from various
educated men and women employed at one university or another across this
great land. : )

Have Fun,

Larry Atkins

--part1_1de.946f69c.2bfaf738_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">To all List members,<BR>
<BR>
I am announcing a new contest, but don't be alarmed, it should offend nobody=
 !<BR>
<BR>
This contest is merely a celebration of the wonders that may be discovered w=
hile in&nbsp; pursuit of the satisfying, (although sometimes frustrating), h=
obby of hunting meteorites.<BR>
<BR>
Through the past several years my hunting has produced some pretty good impo=
sters. Here in Michigan where I do a good bit of hunting in my spare time, t=
he terrain consists of hills and valleys, glacial debris, oxbow lakes and mo=
raines. All the farm fields have rows and rows of rocks, providing endless h=
unting ground, and rocks abound in the woods. Unfortunately the more rocks,=20=
the harder the hunting, and the more possible variations of rock you can fin=
d that sometimes fool the eye. Many have features that mimic meteorites, be=20=
it a ' crust ' created through weathering, or a stone with circles in it, th=
e result of some igneous process, brought to the surface way up north in Can=
ada, and subsequently transported here by glacier. You will find many stones=
 that are dark, and strongly attracted to a magnet, some with what appears t=
o be slightly oxidized metal flakes inside, and yet others that are tektite=20=
shaped and attract to a magnet. Sometimes they will share multiple meteorite=
 characteristics, but something always seems to discount them in the end. As=
 we all know, meteorites are in fact very rare comparatively speaking.<BR>
<BR>
I have been keeping many of these rocks to build my own sort of data base, o=
r reference of 'meteorwrongs' found here locally, and in other states. The f=
oundation of this contest is built of these stones, as well as some authenti=
c stone meteorites from my collection. <BR>
<BR>
The object of this contest is to sort through 43 pictures and pick the ' rit=
es from the&nbsp; ' wrongs. These pictures were taken through a small stereo=
-microscope at 30x or 100x&nbsp; with an Olympus Camedia 4.3 digital camera.=
 These photo's represent 12 authentic stone meteorites, (I didn't include an=
y of my irons), and 8 non meteorites, all stone type suspects. Obviously the=
re are some individuals that have more than 1 photo, to give you a better lo=
ok, and to make it more interesting. Some of the photos are exterior crust s=
hots, some are up close interior shots, and there is an "actual" size, or tw=
o as well. <BR>
<BR>
I will warn you that I have gone out of my way to make this difficult, it ma=
y be a humbling experience for some, and a learning experience for most, I'm=
 sure. If nothing else it will be lots of fun! <BR>
You have 48 hours from right now to study these pics at Mark Bosticks websit=
e at ; <A HREF=3D"http://www.meteoritearticles.com/testmain.html">http://www=
.meteoritearticles.com/testmain.html</A>&nbsp; You need only give a "right"=20=
or&nbsp; "wrong"&nbsp; for each "suspect" number,&nbsp;&nbsp; ie.."suspect #=
 27 is a wrong", "# 28 is a right", etc... as an example. I will take answer=
s in the order they come, the first person with 100 % correct answers wins a=
 cut and polished, .168 gram NWA 1068, Martian Shergotite, ($84.00 value) an=
d a ~16 gram Gold Basin chondrite&nbsp; that I collected during the winter o=
f 2000. I cut and polished it for your enjoyment, it has some nice inclusion=
s. I will also include a CD with micro photo's of both as an added bonus.&nb=
sp; Hey, it's not a ton o' money, but what do you want? :&nbsp; )<BR>
 <BR>
<BR>
In case nobody actually gets 100%, (is it possible?), the first person with=20=
the most right answers wins. As a consolation, anyone else with all the righ=
t answers, given on time, will recieve a small Gold Basin individual or frag=
ment.<BR>
<BR>
The Rules;<BR>
 <BR>
 <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You get one guess to start, I will respond to each one=20=
in the order recieved, and tell you that you are the winner or how many you=20=
have wrong, you can then re-submit your answer by 11:59 P.M., Wednesday, May=
 21. That is all you get, two chances to get every picture right. <BR>
<BR>
I will admit that some of the photo quality gets lost in the transmission fr=
om my computer to Marks site, the pic's are not the best, so take it easy on=
 me, but it is all in fun anyway.<BR>
<BR>
 <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Let the game begin ! Good luck to all participants !<BR>
<BR>
*Disclaimer*<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp; Not all meteorwrongs have been chemically or isotopically tes=
ted at University, or other qualified institute or lab. Holders of this cont=
est and their constituents will not be held responsible for the unanticipate=
d consequences that may result from the discovery of, at a later date, that=20=
in fact one or more of said "meteorwrongs" is in fact a "meteorite".&nbsp; <=

All 'meteorwrong' diagnosis are based on expert observation from various edu=
cated men and women&nbsp; employed at one university or another across this=20=
great land.&nbsp; :&nbsp; )<BR>
<BR>
Have Fun,<BR>
<BR>