[meteorite-list] mailing q's:

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:42 2004

>harlan trammell <skyrox_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
2 q's - have any of you dealer/ ebay types been
experiencing any mail problems lately including slow
mail?
Nothing serious. Some mail seems a few days longer
than normal but some is unusually fast to. Except for
Hawaii which always seem to have poor mail service
things seem reasonably normal to me. (And I have
maintained 400 open ebay auctions for over 2 months
now so I mail a LOT of packages - my mail cost
yesterday alone was $399). Europe seems unusually fast
for mail.
2.) what is the most secure AND sure method of
shipping HI-END items to europe?
If time is not of the essence and it is very heavy sea
freight is the cheapest to europe. You can probably
send a 1x1x1 meter package for about $150. Works great
with meteorites as size is the main concern but not if
it is lightweight items (Like the teddy bears that I
export from Peru and sell on ebay).
But likely Airfreight is best and seems like a very
safe way of sending something to europe and it is
significantly cheaper that Fed-Ex or The united
pulverizing service (UPS). (I am assuming that you
aretalking about a very heavy package - I would use
fed ex for anything very valuable and less than 10
pounds for example)
Problem with airfreight is that you have to be near a
major airport and your customer has to be near a major
airport to pick it up.
A lot of Tucson dealers use airfreight to ship stuff
to themselves. It is something that you should
seriously look at if you ship a lot of packages. Many
of the moroccan dealers in Tucson seafreight to
themselves two months before the show and put it in
storage for nextyear if it dont sell.
Hope this helps
Cheers
DEAN