[meteorite-list] Re: Fwd: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2175659927

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:42 2004

In thinking about this problem, one IMCA member
mentioned that specimens sent in for ID, after being
proven to be a meteorite, should have a physical
description of weight and size with a photo of the
piece attached.

In fact I am thinking of using a standard photo setup
with a prepaired descriptive label for the true
metorite specimen with a shot of the specimen with a
measuring scale showing the description, specimen and
measuring scale in one photo shot.

A confirmation copy would be sent to the person who
has found a true meteorite with a disclaimer stating
that ONLY the specimen submitted was determined to be
an actual meteorite... and that NO other samples of
the said specimen are to be sold using our Certificate
of Authenticity without similar verification.

IMCA members should seriously consider this, and draft
a standard for photos that will be recognized by us.

They should be arranged like this

Top of picture. Specimen with scale below it.

Bottom of picture, a description of the specimen, and
the verification that it is a meteorite. And in this
line there should be a disclaimer that states that no
other specimens other than the one shown is to be sold
as a meteorite unless similarly verified by the one
making the determination.

The above scheme would apply to new and old meteorite
finds, where we as IMCA members determine that the
rock in question is a meteorite. And in addition to
this we must make it clear that our determination
applies ONLY to that specimen and no others.

They are not to use a "COA" in a blanket manner to
cover any or all similar finds made by them.

This should set the record straight with regards to
abusing our verifications on ebay sales.

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2175659927